Thursday, November 19, 2015

Just when you think you get the hang of something

After Morgan was discharged from the hospital on dialysis summer was right around the corner. In early June I had planned to attend a wedding with big sister for my cousin back home. The trip was planned. I spent June 4th doing laundry and preparing Morgan's Nan to watch her while I was gone and Randy was at work. As the day went on I noticed Morgan getting increasingly fussy. She seemed like she was not feeling well at all. I laid her in bed thinking maybe she just needed a little Tylenol and a nap. It calmed her a bit, but I noticed her breathing was labored and something seemed off. I checked her blood pressure and heart rate and realized I was right. Her heart rate was at just over 200 bpm. I called the Doctor's office right away. They had me drain her and her fluid came out cloudy. I knew that this meant infection. At that moment I started packing us up to head to the Hospital. I called Randy at work and told him we were heading that way. I remember feeling so bad for her. She looked like she was in pain. Her heart rate and breathing were very concerning, but nothing as concerning as the infection I knew was in her peritoneal cavity, and possibly in her blood.

When we arrived we were immediately sent back in the emergency room and antibiotics were started right away. Arrangements were made to have her admitted onto the floor in the pediatric unit, and some of the fear began to subside. They attacked the infection from every angle and were able to get it under control. After a couple of days Morgan was back to her normal self, smiling, happy, and wiggling all about.

We were able to be home with her for nearly two months before the infection set in. As a caregiver I felt so responsible. I wanted to know if there was something I was doing wrong to cause this infection. I had a routine, and I never waivered from it. I couldn't even come up with a single thing I had done differently with her dialysis. Her amazing doctors were able to calm my fears a bit after discussing exactly the steps I took that morning and every day. They informed me that even when doing everything right and without change bacteria can still find its way in. One thing I knew for certain was that I would make sure to be extra cautious in her cares and exchanges. Watching her in such pain was something I just could not risk putting her through again.


Learning Dialysis was more than just training. Keeping everything as clean as possible and consistent was very important to her health. After a short time in the hospital we were sent home on antibiotics. Even though I had been trained to insert her antibiotics into her dialysis this was my first time actually putting this training into action. Each cassette that connected to Morgan and her bags had a medicine port that antibiotics and other dialysis related medication could be administered through with a needle. I had to do this for a couple days to finish her cycle of antibiotics. I was so happy all went well.

Upon arriving at home Morgan was welcomed by her Grandma and Papa, who came to visit her for the first time since her second surgery. We got to spend time shopping and playing and just enjoying each other's company. As a family we had a busy and exciting summer ahead of us. Filled with plenty of visits from Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. All I could do was hope that everything would carry on smoothly and Morgan could not only meet everyone, but also enjoy their company.

No comments:

Post a Comment